Queens, NY asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Maryland

Q: Hi, my roommate (ex) moved out of our mobile home, which is in my name , without notice and left belongings. How long

How long until I can get rid of them. Only my name is on the house or lease and I live in Maryland. He also left with unpaid rent, electric and water.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: To be safe, send/serve him with written notice that he make reasonable arrangements within 30 days to come pick up his property, or failing that, you will deem the items to be abandoned property and will dispose of them in any manner expedient to you. Take photographs of the items, so as to make a complete record of what the items are and their condition. This is to protect you from claims he left the items in better condition or that he left more expensive items than were there, as he may sue you for the difference in value or make that claim as a counter-claim to offset any suit for unpaid rent and utilities (yes, this happens all the time and has been a frequent topic on this and other legal forums). If he fails to respond within the time given him, you can trash the items, keep them, sell them, donate them, whatever works for you. As for the unpaid rent and utilities, that's a Small Claims action for beach of lease or agreement. If you sell his propety and receive money, then you should reduce what he owes by the amounts received, minus costs of sale.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.