Munford, TN asked in Juvenile Law and Child Custody for Mississippi

Q: Would the custodial parent or non-custodial parent of a juvenile would be responsible for paying fines for probation?

Our child committed a possession of controlled substance; a marijuana vape on school campus and was arrested in the state of Mississippi. He was fined $250 to pay for drug screening and the custodial parent is stating that I'm responsible as well for the fine. This happened while in the custodial parent's care in MS; I'm the non-custodial parent who lives in Tennessee. He is 14 years old and fined by the Juvenile Justice Center, Hernando, M.S. 38632

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You don’t say which court found him guilty or give his age. If he was found guilty in Municipal, Justice, County, or Circuit, that tells me that he is not a juvenile. The Court will look to your son to pay the fine, not either of the parents, custodial or not. He committed the crime, so he pays the fine. If the custodial parent chooses to pay the fine for him, that’s really on that parent. He/she can go into Chancery and ask the Chancellor to order you to reimburse the custodial parent, but I would say the chances are slim. If he is at an age that he can get a job, the best course is to make him get a job and pay the fine. If there are no consequences, what lesson has he learned?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.