Mount Laurel, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: I live in New Jersey and am looking to move to florida. I was wondering about how far in advance do I request this?

He has not seen my son in over 2 years and moved out of state but I foresee an issue with him as he has caused several issues in family court on and off for the past few years.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer PRO label
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You will have to show that this move is in the best interest of the child and that you have the opportunity for a better quality of life. You need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney to represent you in this matter. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Despite the fact that he has not seen your child in over 2 years, to relocate with your son out of state, you either need a signed writing from him agreeing to the move or you need a court order permitting it to occur. I know that it seems like a waste of time / money, but I am a big believer in Murphy's Law and if you dont do it correctly, you are giving your ex an opportunity to seek sanctions against you for relocating without a court order and "in violation of his parenting rights". And, rest assured that he will tell a very different story about his role in your child's life and try to suggest that your actions in moving were improper.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.