Toms River, NJ asked in Estate Planning and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: When can I use my power of attorney

I have full power of attorney of my elderly mom. She is not capable of handling finances on her own but my sisters have brainwashed her into selling her home as I've been busy with my career. My mom doesn't want to believe she is incapable of making financial decisions and my sister's have already sneakily convinced my mom to gift them 20-30 thousand dollars since my dad died two years ago. They are telling her they are helping her but they are really setting her up to hand out the proceeds of her house sale to them for material items and things they want. My sister s use many pills and hvlave physically abused my mom before but has never been filed on paper because my mom didn't want to get her in trouble. My mom has been hospitalized many times from overdosing on pill and my sister that lived with her uses my mom's addiction to her mother has become my sister's full time babysitter and has lost 45 lbs in a year. She is very unhealthy and also afraid to tell them no.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You have the right to exercise any power that is listed in the Power of Attorney. If you have a specific question how broad is the Power of Attorney's language, please consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.