Canton, MI asked in Construction Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: Does this company have legal rights to lien my property and is this consider a inflated lien?


I need some advice. 19 months ago I had a house fire. The company hired to complete the repairs has been a nightmare. Many jobs were done without any input from us on material, improperly, and things are non-functioning. The project was supposed to be completed in 8 month and here we are 19 months later still dealing with this nightmare. Trying to get the company to come finish has been a hassle with them refusing to complete and repair the work until we pay in full. Now they are placing a lien on my house. Here is the issue though we do not have a sign contract. This is a residential property in Michigan the only thing is a sign work authorization that does not include anything about license as required in the construction lien act. Is this even legal without this? And they included over 15k worth of work that was admitted in writing to be not done and supposed to be credited to the final balance owed with much more being disputed . Would this be an over inflated lien?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Did your insurance company contract with these people? First call should probably be to them. Second call should be to a local attorney who handles insurance and construction liens.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.