Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: My brother signed over rights to his child and was supposed to be adopted by the moms new husband. His last

Name was changed and all. DHS keeps taking money out of my brothers paycheck. If he was adopted after my brother signed over his rights, would DHS get a copy sent over once he was adopted to stop taking money out of his checks? And if not, how could they change the child’s last name without being adopted?

1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: DHS would not automatically receive a copy of the adoption Order. If your brother has a copy, he should take them a copy or contact the caseworker and them that one was entered. However, if your brother was behind on his child support at the time of entry of the Order, he is still responsible for payment is the arrearage. At the very least he should contact the caseworker and discuss the adoption with them. If he does not have an arrearage he should contact the attorney that handled the TPR and adoption and ask that they send a copy of the Order to DHS immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.