Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Civil Litigation for Nebraska

Q: I won a small claims case for the return of my dog…I don’t want money…what now

What can I do now to get my dog back?? The judge said after the deadline he would have to pay me…

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Small claims actions are generally for money judgments. If you want other relief, such as return of property (like a dog) instead of money, then you may need to file a different cause of action outside of small claims court. However, if you are took the case to trial and the judge awarded you money and not the property, then you may need to legally challenge that ruling or you may be prevented from filing a new separate action to ask for the dog instead of the cash.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.