Palm Beach Gardens, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: I have a month to month tenant who is late paying. I gave notice of rent default letter stating to pay in 7 days or will

take further action. Date has passed for tenant to pay up. Do I now have to give tenant a 15 day notice to end month to month tenancy? I am located in palm beach county.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Cease work. You have no real idea what you are doing, and you are liable to make an error which will cost you.

You don't send a 7 day notice when the tenant refuses to pay, you send a 3 day letter, properly delivered and which conforms to the statute.

Many counties, Palm Beach may be one of them, has all the forms you need to do a tenant eviction. If PB doesn't, try Broward, Miami, Hillsborough, Charlotte, Lee, Or Manatee. The forms will be the same except for the county information. But in addition to filling out the forms correctly, you have to know what to do with them - how to serve them, what to do afterwards, etc., etc. Its a lot to learn. The better option is to retain an attorney to do this for you AND then maintain that relationship so you have an attorney whom you know, rather than on relying on internet responses. Being a landlord, even if it just one house, is serious business. You have to really know what you are doing, or the financial consequences to you could put your investment at risk. Good luck.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.