D'Iberville, MS asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: How do I transfer my custody case from California to Florida?

My case was originally established in CA but I have now moved to FL and from what I am told need to have the case released from CA so that FL can accept it but no one will tell me how to do that, and I have searched CA court forms and I cannot find anything to transfer out of state, just to transfer to CA from out of state.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie B. Waxman
Tobie B. Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This is done by noticed motion. Meaning, you would need to file a Request for Order [form FL300] for change of venue. You file that motion in the jurisdiction where your case is currently. You provide the current court with information regarding where the case will be transferred if the motion is granted including providing the contact information for the receiving court and judge. Other than the form FL300, which is really just a cover page, the motion itself is not a form. You will need to include a declaration, exhibits and maybe a memorandum of law. My recommendation is that you hire local counsel to handle this for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.