Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Is using a false address on a marriage license application enough to consider a marriage invalid in Lake County Ohio?

Both parties lived out of Ohio state as US citizens at the time of application but spouse listed a false former Lake County address on the application. Marriage ceremony took place in Lake County, OH. Provide Next Steps Please.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: We cannot provide legal advice and guidance here. Ohio does not require residency to marry. Outsiders simply file for a marriage license in the county where the ceremony will take place. Using an old address means nothing. Also, there are no easy outs. An error in providing pedigree information like an address does not suddenly reverse the legal effect of a marriage in Ohio. A divorce will reverse the legal effect of a marriage.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.