Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Family Law for Arizona

Q: How do I go about getting my son back. I was lied about in civil court and had a protective order placed against me

This came after I threatened my ex to have my son's mouth fixed because he had a mouthful of bad teeth. She took him from Utah to Colorado and left him with his half sister whom he had never met and she filed for emergency guardianship due to neglect. All of which was taking place without my knowledge. I got full and physical custody from his home state judge but have not had him returned to my custody. There are more details if interested.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I'm sorry that I didn't see this sooner. I hope your son is with you now.

If he is not, you need to talk to a family law attorney in the state where he currently is about what you need to do to get that state to enforce the order of this Court.

If he is in Arizona, Arizona will enforce the orders of another state, but Arizona law enforcement, in my experience, require you to register the out of state order AND have an Arizona judge order the child be returned. It's a little backwards, but that's what our police generally speaking, require.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.