Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: How to get Rental debt off credit?

Hello, I got evicted of February 2020. I left my apartment to my roommate who failed to pay, and decided to abandon the apartment without my knowledge. We got evicted and it went to court and I didn’t show up because I didn’t know this was happening. Now it is on my Rental credit report that a judgement was made. I went back to the apartments who took us to court and asked them what collection agency had the debt. They gave me a list of about 3 companies but none of them had record of the debt, even when I gave them the court case. I have been trying to dispute the information with Transunion and Experian, but they claim the debt is valid, I keep asking the companies to prove that the debt was valid by giving me the collection agency that had it, but they give me the same cookie cutter reply on the BBB site. What can I do? I want to pay it off but it seems impossible. I can’t rent anywhere with this on my credit report. Please help! Court case E200365J6 this is from Denton county

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You might consider paying the landlord directly rather than a collection agency and requesting a release of judgment which you would then file.

But be aware that the existence of the eviction itself will not magically go away. Future landlords will still discover the eviction when performing a background check.

Many landlords, however, offer autopay options for rent. You should consider voluntarily agreeing to pay via autopay in future rental applications. That often alleviates a prospective landlord’s concern about a single past eviction.

I would also proactively mention that, in a prior lease, you had a roommate who didn’t pay the rent resulting in an eviction on which you were named because you were on the lease.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.