Gainesville, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: What can I do if I let my kids go to their mothers for the summer to make sure she brings them back home.

I have 3 children who's mother lives in Michigan and me and my wife live in Florida. I've had the children for about 8yrs. Their mother wants them for the summer. We have not been through family court for any visitation but she has came to visit a couple of times in the last 8yrs. What can I do as in maybe a notery letter or something to make sure she brings the kids back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A notarized letter probably wouldn't make much difference were she to fail to return the children as agreed. I assume that the mother of the children and you were never married, or there would be something in the divorce decree about custody and visitation. It would be best if a court case were instituted, to be concluded by a stipulated custody and visitation agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.