Knoxville, TN asked in Civil Litigation, Small Claims and Collections for Tennessee

Q: I need information for filing a lawsuit against an individual for money owed.

I paid for legal services with a credit card for an individual with the agreement being that said individual would pay the payments. Now this person refuses to pay.

2 Lawyer Answers
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Depending on the amount owed, this would probably be a small claim in general sessions court. There are civil warrants available online that you can fill out and file with the clerk's office at the county courthouse. A clerk can also walk you through how to complete the paperwork. Although, you would be wise to consider hiring an attorney for assistance.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You will want check out the financial condition of anyone you are going to sue. Especially land records might be beneficial for a prospective lien, or employment and banking for garnishment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.