St Louis, MO asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Probate for Missouri

Q: My parents passed with no will and the house still has a mortgage. How do I get the title in my name? I want to sell it.

The house is currently in the foreclosure process but the attorney for the mortgage company said I should still have time to try and sell. How do I get the house put in my name? What documents will I need? Should I get a lawyer?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: First and foremost, I am very sorry for your loss.

As for the house, even though your parents did not have wills, you can start a probate action to be appointed the personal representative of each of their estates. As personal representative, you will have authority to offer their home for sale.

There are other issues that will affect this process, such as how long it has been since your parents died, whether you have siblings and whether they will agree that you be appointed Personal Representative. You should absolutely contact an attorney to discuss all of this. The attorney's fees are generally paid from the estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.