Victorville, CA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: This is about family law… my parents are divorced and I am 17 years of age, I live with my mom but I want to leave at 18

She doesn’t want me to leave at 18 and she went to court today to try to get custody of me until I’m 19 can this happened?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie B. Waxman
Tobie B. Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: No. Once you are 18, you are an adult and free to live wherever you want. If she were to seek a modification of existing custody orders, she would need to file a motion and serve the other parent. Although, I cannot imagine on what grounds such a request would be granted. What she may be trying to do however, is seek a conservatorship. That's something different. But "custody"; no. You are not a child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.