Lawton, OK asked in Consumer Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Oklahoma

Q: Is it legal for an insurance company to debit your account for balance from years ago without any notice?

I was getting a quote for new auto insurance coverage and got to the payment page when the site told me there was "a problem processing payment". I checked my account and there was a pending balance that I did not authorize from that company almost $100 more than what I was quoted. I immediately called their support. Their representative told me that they would assist in getting me coverage and that the pending balance would be dropped. Feeling skeptical I asked them to look into it. After a brief hold she returned to tell me that it was a balance due from 2020. I was not aware of this balance and did not receive any disclosure or notification on the site or by email when attempting to complete the payment for the quoted amount. I then asked her to transfer me to their service team. The gentleman stated there was nothing that could be done and that I must have missed the disclosure. I assured him nothing was missed. He then transferred me to his supervisor who told me the same thing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you're able to consult with a local attorney on state-specific insurance and consumer law, one option could be to check with the state department of insurance. Most states have such an agency that provides guidance to consumers on insurance matters. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.