Hudson, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: What county should you file a complain for parentage in ?

My fiancé has two boys. He wasn’t married to their mom. He has a child support order in summit county. He’s on their birth certificates , he’s had parenting time with them bi weekly since they were born. Their mom sometimes will withhold visits and he can’t access their medical records or school records so he wants to legalize his rights with the courts. We have the paperwork filled out called a complain for parentage .

My question is should he file with stark county where the boys currently live or summit where the child support is ordered, the boys were born and my fiancé lives now. It’s a 420 filing fee so we don’t want to file with the wrong county.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If there is a child support order then you do not need to file a complaint for parentage. You need to file a complaint for visitation or custody. You should file it in the county where the children reside.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.