Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Washington

Q: got notified that Im not legal to possess/own a firearm when I applied for the permit. I have never had a felony so why?

And how do I get this changed. I feel im being harrassed by the local sheriffs office after they had wrongly arrested me when my husband passed away. Long story, maybe I need to speak with someone about this to fill in all the ugly disgusting details. I live in Washington state. Please help

1 Lawyer Answer
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Sorry to hear. There are some misdemeanors with the Domestic Violence designation that can result in the loss of firearm rights.

I recommend that you contact a criminal defense attorney in your area to discuss your criminal history (if any) and to see if there is something there that shouldn't be.

If enough time has passed and you meet certain requirements, it may be possible to get your gun rights back after a conviction (if there is one). Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.