Daytona Beach, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: My daughter was born in 2013 when I was 16 and her mother was 17.5 She put me on child support when I was 18, but

I hadn’t even started my first job at the time so how was the amount calculated? My mom passed away when I was a child and my dad passed away when I was 18 six weeks before the birth of my second daughter with my now wife which is around the time I was put on child support and because of the death of my dad I ended up homeless and my newborn lived with her mom and grandparents. I finally got a job when my youngest was 4 months and the child support for my first was taken out my checks. How was the amount calculated if I didn’t have a job yet and I was homeless? 9 years later I still don’t have any custody or days of my own with my first. How can I change this? I want 50/50 custody, but can’t afford a lawyer. If not what is something more reasonable I can ask for?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have asked several different questions and should probably look for a free consultation with a local family lawyer. Regarding income, a person with no job is generally imputed minimum wage. This means that the court assumes that you are earning at minimum wage, even if you are not. Regarding timesharing (custody), you need to go to court, preferably where the child lives, and ask for timesharing. This may involve filing a new paternity case or a modification of an existing paternity case. Again, I recommend that you speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.