Reading, PA asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Real Estate Law

Q: Can an HOA be sued in Federal Court?

My HOA states I'm in violation of the HOA rules and assessed a $200 fine. I requested to see their evidence. I requested the name(s), dates and person(s) who conducted their investigation to make this determination. I told them I have evidence to prove I didn't violate but it's their arrogance that pisses me off. I told them I have the 5A right to due process and 6A right to face my accuser(s) and see the evidence. Also, I mentioned if this were a civil suit in discovery I would file an MTD and the case would be dismissed with prejudice. At that point they stopped communicating because they likely have sent this to their attorney for review.

I've paid the so called fine and requested a hearing. I'd like to know specifically what my options are if the hearing goes the way I suspect it will. They've already pronounced me guilty and assessed a fine without even the benefit of a hearing. How can this NOT be a violation of my rights?

Of course I know I need to speak with an attorney!

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Pennsylvania attorney could advise best on state-specific law about HOAs, but your question remains open for two weeks. To have jurisdiction in federal court, you generally need either a question of federal law, or diversity jurisdiction (which carries with it a monetary threshold). An attorney could advise best after looking at the paperwork. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.