Civil Litigation Questions & Answers

Q: Can a collection agency file default even after a response was filed w/court and served? Next step? Dismissal?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for California on
Answered on Feb 15, 2019
Vernon Charles Tucker's answer
I would need more information to give you an exact answer. Like how long has it been since you heard something on the case? Are you checking the courts website in regards to the register of actions? Was the default received stamped by the court that you received or was it a mere copy provided by opposing counsel.

I would check the court's register of actions with the case number and see what is going on. If you are sure you filed an answer then there should be no reason you received a...

Q: In NY, if a client is leaving one attorney for another attorney, is the client entitled to their case file?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for New York on
Answered on Feb 15, 2019
Michael David Siegel's answer
If there is a bill outstanding, you get nothing without a court order. You do not get attorney notes and internal memos, but you get all pleadings, letters, emails, and discovery materials. The attorney will hand it over when someone else appears in the case for you.

Q: I have an injunction on me from an ex-girlfriend/coworker. Am I in violation if I talk to people about it at work?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Florida on
Answered on Feb 15, 2019
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
Assuming the injunction only prohibits you from contacting her or going near her, no, you would not be in violation for talking to others about it. But to be sure, read the injunction.

Q: I am currently having my wadges garnished at 15% per pay period for Restitution from a case in 1999 in Ohio. I have been

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for New Jersey on
Answered on Feb 14, 2019
Leonard R. Boyer's answer
There is no way to change it. You need to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and pay it off over a 60 month period of time. This may make your payments more manageable. But it is expressly not dischargable in bankruptcy.Do not let geographic restrictions get in the way of retaining the best attorney. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price.

Q: I received a settlement from my former employer through litigation for wrongful termination.I received a w2 for the

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Tax Law for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 14, 2019
D. Mathew Blackburn's answer
You report the 1099-Misc on your return and create a counter entry reducing the amount and add a note stating that the income was reported as a W-2.

Keep all your records. There's a very high chance you'll receive a letter from the IRS in 2 - 2.8 years adding the 1099-Misc back in as income an stating you owe back taxes, interest, and penalties. Then you'll have to provide the documentary evidence showing that you filed your return correctly and the IRS doesn't know what it's doing....

Q: Services completed, texts to prove that the insurance money was collected by the customer but they wont pay. Over months

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Contracts for Florida on
Answered on Feb 13, 2019
Griffin Klema's answer
The fact that the customer was paid money by the insurance company doesn't really affect your rights to collect payment for services you rendered. Because the services were made on a property, you may be able to file a lien (a Florida construction lawyer may be able to answer that specific question). Otherwise you could file suit against the customer to enforce the contract. A good trial attorney with experience in business contracts should be able to help. Good luck!

Q: I just received letter from attorney about difference on loan from 2002. What domI do foe exemption?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Florida on
Answered on Feb 13, 2019
Griffin Klema's answer
Your question is difficult to answer without more specifics. I recommend seeking out an initial consultation with a lawyer who can review the letter you received, and evaluate what the issues are with you confidentially. Many lawyers will offer you a few minutes to evaluate your legal matter for free. Good luck!

Q: My landlord has decided he no longer needs to honor our verbal agreement regarding having overnight guest.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for California on
Answered on Feb 13, 2019
Thomas A. Grossman's answer
A verbal agreement means nothing. You are fortunate that you were granted 4 years for you and your mother to live in the owner's house. I have already answered this question once. I presume the Landlord owns the house. If so, it is his house and he can give you notice to leave any time he wants. Just like you can leave the house any time you want. Don't blame the landlord for being a good guy and giving you 4 good years. I suggest that you and your mother find another place to live....

Q: I need to take care of a 14 year old traffic for driving on suspended license what's my options

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Civil Litigation for Michigan on
Answered on Feb 7, 2019
Frank B. Ford's answer
Contact the court to see if there is a warrant for your arrest. If so, find out what the amount of the bond is. You would normally then have to go to the police department, but sometimes directly to the court, to turn yourself in on the warrant and post the bond, and get the charge set for a Pre-trial. Make sure that all the issues that are or were keeping you from having a valid license are taken care of, if possible. It is a very good idea to have an attorney helping you with this type of...

Q: Can you change your mind the next day and ask the courts if you could remöve your name off the contract?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Public Benefits for Colorado on
Answered on Feb 6, 2019
Donald C Eby's answer
You can file a motion for reconsideration or request the court to reject your stipulated settlement agreement.

Q: If the defendant appeals a small claims judgement can I ask for the remainder of the punitive damages be awarded also?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 6, 2019
Elizabeth Tarasi's answer
Yes the appeal from small claims is Like you are starting the case from the beginning.

Q: whats the best way to go about the situation I typed under “ More Information”?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Florida on
Answered on Feb 6, 2019
Griffin Klema's answer
Assuming you have an issued trademark that arguably causes confusion with the domain you identify, you would have two options: (1) file a UDRP complaint with ICANN or another adjudicating body, or (2) file a lawsuit against the domain owner for trademark infringement, or if you don't know / can't find the domain owner, file suit against the registrar in an in rem action. This isn't something most people can do DIY, and I recommend you get some professional legal help to enforce your rights. If...

Q: If an office enter a home without a search warrant or probable casue, could he testify and be witness

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Georgia on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
David Edward Boyle's answer
Yes, he can always testify. Whether the search was illegal such that the results of it can be suppressed are a different inquiry. I would encourage you to hire a lawyer.

Q: regarding false arrest

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New York on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.'s answer
An investigator may be able to help you with the license plate numbers, or alternatively you can request public records via the DMV. As for false arrest or defamation of character, you might be able to sue if the facts support your allegations. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/...

Q: How to collect on federal lawsuit against George W. Hill prison for overcrowded cells

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
Peter Munsing's answer
Contact the attorneys for the Plaintiffs & /or the Pa. Civil Liberties Union Prison rights project.

Q: Can you sue a county prothonotary and office for not properly filing your court papers for a third time and each time

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
Peter Munsing's answer
No, they have a qualified immunity. What you need to do is get a receipt and then ask that the filing be deemed of a certain date, nunc pro tunc.

Q: I filed a 1983 while in prison in fla doc. I was release befre my verdic or renderence of...i need to speak to somebody

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Florida on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
Charles M. Baron's answer
Your inquiry is very vague. Sounds like you filed a Section 1983 civil rights suit while incarcerated complaining of lack of medical attention, which is a valid ground for suit under certain circumstances - but it's hard to tell from your inquiry whether it's ongoing, or a judgment was entered against you. In any event, for this type of case, you need to consult a civil rights attorney, or in the alternative, contact the Florida Justice Institute in Miami, (888)358- 2081, or the Human Rights...

Q: For about 8 months or more, my cell phone was illegaly wiretapped by law enforcement? What can I do? I have proof.

1 Answer | Asked in Antitrust, Civil Litigation, Identity Theft and Personal Injury on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
Peter Munsing's answer
Suggest you contact the Texas Civil Liberties union and ask for the names of cooperating attorneys near to where you live. You would have to show damages--some are implied, others not.

Q: If an individual travereses on frozen water, do they do so at their own risk?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Insurance Defense and Municipal Law for New York on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
Peter Munsing's answer
First, don't put you email up ---ask Justia to take it down.

I'm not hearing any specific facts in your situation. As a general rule a person chosing their route is responsible for it's safety. Unless there is a need to go across frozen water they would be harmed. Look at the Restatement of Torts Sec 343 and NY cases cited.As to state agencies, they are governed by the Tort Claims Act. If you have a case, contact a member of the NY State Trial Lawyers Assn.

I fyou are trying...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.