Civil Rights Questions & Answers


1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Wrongful Death on
Answered on Dec 14, 2018
Peter Munsing's answer
Start by figuring out if you can bring the case. If you can't then try to get journalists interested in it. Try the Civil Liberties Union in your state.

Q: After two years of human trafficking, 5 years of attempted taking of a life, and finally death

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Wrongful Death for California on
Answered on Dec 14, 2018
Peter Munsing's answer
Not sure this is a question but it's up to the authorities to investigate or journalists, but only the DA and police can charge anyone.

Q: How is my pitchess motion supposed to be fair, when the same court that denied it the first time is doing it again?

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for California on
Answered on Dec 14, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer
much more info would be needed and you need to ask this of a criminal lawyer in Ventura.

i am in palm springs and swore i would never go back to Ventura over 30 years ago.

you might ask the court to appoint another defense lawyer if you feel you are not getting competent representation.........but i can't comment if that is a prudent idea.

Q: Help with children and youth difficult ex husband

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Dec 13, 2018
Kathryn Hilbush's answer
Honestly, it sounds to me like you and your wife need to sit down for a detailed in person consultation with an experienced family law attorney. I'm sorry but some of what you said here doesn't make a lot of sense, complicated by the lack of punctuation I suspect, but even with periods and capital letters, I still think you need to meet with an attorney instead of seeking information online about what is clearly a complicated and messy matter.

Q: How do you challange a search warrant issued due to false and theoretical probable cause affidavit

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Dec 12, 2018
Cary B. Hall's answer
Your best bet is to hire an attorney, and have him/her contact the police to find out what their intentions are with the property seized, and whether they intend to file any charges.

If you'd like to discuss this matter further, I do practice in Bucks County. Feel free to contact me offsite -- my contact information is contained in my Justia profile.

Best of luck to you.

Q: If a parent has a pedophile in the house with a minor, would this be considered endangerment if the minor did not know?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for New Hampshire on
Answered on Dec 12, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
It depends on the level of sex offender this person is. there are laws that state a sex offender cannot be around minors so check with the local police department to make sure the person is properly registered and is registered for the home the person resides in, and the level and danger to the child is any. The local police are very good at handling these issues as the sex offender is supposed to be known to them and where they reside at all times.

Q: Yes the judge was sent a letter n saidthey found n error on my papper work,that the sentencing didnt match with the crim

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California on
Answered on Dec 10, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer


Q: Hi I am sending you a link to the inmates record. Seems he should be released. Thank you

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Civil Rights for Arizona on
Answered on Dec 10, 2018
Zachary Divelbiss' answer
Hello, this link you have attached is the generic link without any individual case information. I do not believe the site will allow you to copy and paste it with the inmates information. Feel free to send us an email with the information.

Q: Why won't my public defender show me the video I am supposedly accused of shoplifting from Wal-Mart?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Georgia on
Answered on Dec 9, 2018
Ecleynne Mercy's answer
Some Counties don't provide a copy of videos to the defense attorney or the defendant. They make them come in and watch the videos in the DA's office. You can schedule with your public defender a date and time to go watch the video together. I hope this helps.

Q: how do I find an answer to a question I asked

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for New Jersey on
Answered on Dec 8, 2018
Leonard R. Boyer's answer
Make things simple and just repeat the question.

Q: How long can you legally hold someone in jail before it's a civil rights violation?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Florida on
Answered on Dec 7, 2018
Charles M. Baron's answer
Your question is far too vague. Re-post with facts such as, awaiting trial?, on charge of? bond set? represented by attorney?

Q: I was arrested and spend 33 months in the county jail. The case was brought to trail twice before being dismissed.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Civil Rights for New Jersey on
Answered on Dec 6, 2018
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.'s answer
You would generally look to hire a civil rights lawyer but just because the case was dismissed does not mean that the state did anything wrong.

Q: Can I stand on a median or freeway exit a with sign?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Dec 6, 2018
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
This is the first amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. There is nothing in there that gives you the right to beg for money (panhandling). Wanna hold a sign somewhere, go hold a sign somewhere - wanna beg for money especially aggressively and you...

Q: If a cop lies on a police report to cover his excessive force up, can that lie ultimately get the charges dismissed?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Illinois on
Answered on Dec 6, 2018
Juan Ooink's answer
This is something for you to discuss with your attorney. Your attorney will have all of the needed information in order to answer this question. If you have not hired an attorney yet, you should do so right away. The sooner you hire an attorney the sooner that attorney can start working on the case. That attorney will move to preserve any video available, but that needs to happen right away, so do not hesitate, hire an attorney now.

Q: So if a person stays at your house for some time and they manage to get like 3 pieces of mail there are they a tenant

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for California on
Answered on Dec 3, 2018
Thomas A. Grossman's answer
I have never heard the "3 letters and you are a tenant" rule before. Under the law there are basically 3 types of tenancies: a tenancy for years; a tenancy from period to period; and a tenancy at sufferance. If there is no written agreement with the "visitor," then he/she is a tenant at sufferance. That means that they are living there only as long as you want them to live there. The cops don't like handling these matters, so they find some excuse so that they don't have to deal with it....

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.