Savannah, GA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: How long after my 18 year old daughter starts working, can I stop child support?

She will be finished with her technical college of cosmetology by mid April. Once she starts working, I need to know when and how I go about stopping child support. ASUME has been no help at all. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: The Rule of Law in Puerto Rico states that a person comes of age at 21 years old. Until then, your daughter has a right to child support.

Nevertheless, a person of 18 years or more, can be emancipated if she can support herself, has independent economic means and (1) both parents as well as the minor subscribe an emancipation deed; or (2) she goes before a court of law and requests a judicial emancipation; or (3) if she gets married.

Even if and when your daughter reaches the legal age of 21, if child support was granted by way of the Puerto Rico Court, you must submit a Motion to the Court, advising them of your child's legal age and requesting termination of child support.

Regarding ASUME, they'll terminate the child support account if (1) a birth certificate is produced, demostrating that your daughter is an adult; or (2) presenting a court order terminating the child support; or (3) presenting a copy of the emancipation deed; or (4) presenting a marriage certificate for your daughter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.