Dorchester, MA asked in Child Custody for Massachusetts

Q: I have sole custody of my 7 year old. During a visit with his dad, his dad got him vaccinated without my permission

I was never married to my sons father, and then he moved to a different country. He visits twice a year for a few weeks. He was here over Christmas this year, and I had the flu, so he offered to take my son to his annual physical. While he was there he got him vaccinated for covid, against my wishes. I had already refused it and the doctors office knew that. They also knew our history, and that dad doesn't even live in this country. Yet they still allowed him to override my decision, as the non-custodial parent. What do I do to ensure that he's never allowed to do that again? Do I take legal action against the doctor that allowed that to happen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick

A: Either parent may consent to the vaccination of a minor.

Theoretically, you can petition the court with jurisdiction over your custody case for the sole right to make decisions for the non-emergency medical treatment of your child. However, your refusal to allow routine vaccinations like the COVID-19 vaccine which is recommended by healthcare professionals for children of that age will likely be viewed negatively in any such proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.