Grants Pass, OR asked in Workers' Compensation for Oregon

Q: What to do if Previous employer didnt process workers comp claim and I have to pay the medical expenses?

Back in March of 2022, I sustained and injury and was taken to the ER by my employer. The following day I filed for workers comp for the visit as well as follow ups for the injury. A few months after I received a bill from the hospital. I contacted my employers HR to get it straightened out which I was told it would be taken care of. Fast forward to yesterday, I recieved notice that this bill is now in collections and they would like to collect.

I am no longer employed there nor do I live in the same state. Previous employer is in California and I now reside in Oregon.

What can be done or how to dispute this properly?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Spencer  Aldrich
Spencer Aldrich
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Sound like you were a Cal resident working for a Cal employer at the time of the injury, so jurisdiction would likely be in California's WC system (not Oregon's). You might consider posting this question in the CA forum, but really you should call a CA WC attorney.

If this were an Oregon WC matter, i'd say you have options: a formal claim could still be made so you could get the bill paid (and whatever other benefits you might need). I'd assume CA has similar protections, but I don't practice there so i can't say for sure. Call a CA WC attorney and they'll likely be able to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.