Toledo, OH asked in Criminal Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Custody battle turned nasty. Can I get help for this situation?

In a custody battle. I’m close to getting my kids due to their mother being abusive. Yesterday my ex’s mother posted a video to Facebook playing a song about murdering the man who hurts her daughter. I was then sent a video of her mother saying if I got custody that basically she knows a guy that she may have given my address and phone number to and she’s not saying something will happen but if it does she knows nothing about nothing. I perceive this as a threat to my life, and knowing how unstable she is I feel it’s a very likely situation I could be in danger. Unfortunately though I do not know if this is enough to get her in some type of legal trouble and keep her away.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick DiChiro
Patrick DiChiro
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Independence, OH

A: It seems threatening. But that it to be determined by police or prosecutor. Due to the serious nature of this communication, I would report it to the police. Even if they decide not to pursue it, you will have something on file. Plus, I would print/document/copy the threats. You may be able to use them down the road to get a Civil Protection Order.

Best wishes,

Patrick DiChiro

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.