Syracuse, NY asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence and Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Family court judge left us homeless due to charges I pressed and other party retailate with a false OOP. Needing help

I filed charges against brother for assult and few days later agg harresent. My mother tried having my spouse removed from the house and put on street and told him if he didn't leave she would call her son Mathew and have him removed forcefully. Matt came to our home and I protected my spouse and was injured because of it. Few days later I pressed charges for threats made by my brother . My mother got mad after the second charge and went to family court with false allegations and she got a order of protection against me which I was giving two hours to leave our home that my mom gave to me since she was in the process of moving in with my brother. She claimed she lived there full time when she hasn't and only did this because of the charges against Matt .my spouse and I have been homeless due to this since December 1st 2022. Unable to retain a lawyer but need one and looking to sue for pain and suffering and my mother for filing a false report to the court . Needing help

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Based upon what you have said, the Family Court judge can appoint a lawyer for you at no charge to you in regard to the Order of Protection. Just be sure to let them know you cannot afford to hire your own attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.