Hampton, VA asked in Real Estate Law and Estate Planning for Virginia

Q: I would like to live in my house till I die and leave it to my son who lives with me. A neighbor said file a quick claim

I am divorced. want to file quick claim deed . Im

age 90 he lives with me now. a neighbor also said deed of gift

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Your neighbors are wrong. Giving away your property means giving away your property. It is your son’s property from that date, and he can put you in a nursing home or begin renovations immediately once it is his. The fee cheaper solution is a simple will drafted by a lawyer. If there are other assets, there are more helpful devices. Don’t over-complicate it. See a lawyer. Many will “visit” by Zoom.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.