Tampa, FL asked in Contracts and Employment Law for Florida

Q: I am a 1099 contractor a company I subcontracted for is now trying to sue me.

A company I worked with has filed a lawsuit against me saying I owe them 50,000 dollars, as well as asking for alot of other information. I don’t have any money how do I get help with this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Are you an individual contractor, or you have a corporate or LLC entity? If you have an entity that is officially the contractor, you are required to have an attorney represent the entity in any court above small claims court, and if you don't have an attorney, the plaintiff will quickly obtain a money judgment against your entity. If you are an individual contractor, you have the right to defend yourself in court without an attorney. If the latter is the situation, and you have very limited financial means, you have the option of consulting an attorney on the initial steps you should be taking to protect yourself. After those initial steps, though, it will be tough for you to defend yourself without counsel. Whether you are individual or entity, you may want to consult a bankruptcy attorney to look at the option of filing for bankruptcy to get out of the alleged debt, or to start out by threatening to file for bankruptcy to use as leverage in an attempt to reach an amicable resolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.