Silver Spring, MD asked in Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: I injured a person who was trying to enter forcefully into my apartment.

I am pregnant female and lives in an apartment complex. Someone tried to enter forcefully into my apartment and in self defence I injured him with a knife and called the police. He was arrested on scene and police told me that he is under the influence of drugs. Police took him to the hospital and I will get a subpoena from court. What can be the consequences? Can i represent myself without attorney in the court ? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You are not being charged as far as I can tell. The subpoena is so you will come and testify on behalf of the State in their case to prove the intruder guilty of a crime. You are a witness (and victim) of the crime. You do not need a lawyer. The prosecutor will call you to the stand to tell the judge or jury what happened and to identify the defendant as the person you saw trying to forcefully enter your home. Most cases don’t actually reach trial. If the defendant doesn’t have a defense, he may plead guilty. Then you would not have to testify. But I see no basis to retain a lawyer, unless the intruder attempts to sue you for stabbing him. But you have an excellent defense to that claim if it is filed. I would not be too concerned. Keep in contact with the prosecutor’s office, so you know when the trial will be or if the defendant pleads out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.