Ocala, FL asked in Animal / Dog Law for Florida

Q: What can I do with a dog I cannot afford that has paperwork that my mother bought without asking if it was okay?

My mother decided to take it upon herself to buy a purebred Great Pyrenees (huge dog) and ship it to my house for my family. The dogs papers have my moms name on it and a lot of agreements, one which is to never give the animal to a rescue. I cannot afford this animal at all and when I told my mother she needs to get the dog she bought I was told “no, I already got a new puppy”. So now I am looking at selling the dog which seems to be allowed on the contract, but I’m not even the legal owner and fear I can get sued for the money of the sale? I really do not know what to do with this poor dog, but I really cannot afford her nor have the time for her as I am a busy mom of 5. When I’ve asked for help with my kids to take the dog to the vet or groom her my mom, the person who picked out this dog, tells me she’s “too busy”. This has been going on for 2 years and the amount of damage the dogs creates to the yard, and the amount of money she costs to care for her is far too much for myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You are not a party to the contract with the seller which your mother signed. Thus, you are not bound by the terms of the contract and don't owe whatever your mother may still owe. And she gave it to you; it's yours to do with as you please.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.