Columbus, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Do we file contempt for not being allowed any contact with our kids or do we file for visitation first?

Maternal grandmother has legal custody. At the court hearings on the stand she said she wanted the kids to see us and that she'd allow supervised visits for now but we'd need to set it up ect. The court order just left it as a general reasonable visitation and stated they didn't feel my mom would interfere with any parenting time. The day she got custody she cut us off won't allow any contact won't agree to do mediation won't speak to visitation centers I've found. She's moved out of state without notifying the court or us. Would contempt be the most suitable filing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: File both. The contempt should seek as a sanction that she return to Ohio. The court will not be happy that she left the jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.