McDonough, GA asked in Business Law and Civil Litigation for New York

Q: How can I get collectors to go after my ex business partner instead of me?

We ran a trucking business. I pit the vehicles in my name and he operated them. I didnt know he acquired 3k+ in tickets and toll in NY/NJ. I've paid some of them but I'm struggling financially, while still paying the insurance debt.

1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Michael Luisi
Daniel Michael Luisi
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can sue him in small claims court for indemnification. This doesn’t release you from your obligation to repay the tickets, but if your suit is successful, you can seek a court order that your partner reimburse you for these charges. Of course this depends on your ability to bring proof of the existence of your partnership, beyond your word against his.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.