Arlington, TN asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: My parent was issued an immigrant visa and it will expire soon. Can we extend the validity of the immigrant visa?

She is not ready yet to travel to US

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: The easiest option is for your parent to enter the United States before the expiration of the immigrant visa, as once they are admitted they will receive a stamp in their passport that makes the immigrant visa valid for 1 year. They can come to the United States and then return to their home country to get everything in order. Otherwise, they will have to request the re-issuance of the visa.

Per the Department of State this is the process to get an immigrant visa re-issued:

My immigrant visa expired before I was able to travel to the United States. What should I do?

You should contact the Immigrant Visa Unit of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued your visa. You do not need to file a new petition with USCIS, but you may need to submit a new application (DS-260) and pay another immigrant visa application processing fee. In addition, you may need to submit new supporting documents, such as a new medical examination and police certificate. Please be prepared to return your unused, expired visa and visa package (if applicable). Requests to reissue or replace visas are considered on a case-by-case basis, and all applicants are required to re-establish their eligibility; there is no guarantee that you will receive a new visa.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.