Catonsville, MD asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: I changed lanes safely in front of a vehicle with flashing lights. I thought I was using the proper distance and I made

a lane change. I was stopped by highway police. Not understanding why?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you received a traffic ticket, you should request a trial within 30 days of the ticket and go to court. If the police officer does not appear, you would be acquitted. If the police officer appears, you can have a trial. Even if you are convicted, the judge can offer probation before judgment which avoids the points.

I do not know the police officer's reason for the stop. The charge may shed light on what the police officer thinks that you did.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.