Front Royal, VA asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: Can someone with a nonviolent drug felony visit a home where the homeowner owns guns. In Virginia.

My nephew has a felony record for possession from a few years ago and was wanting to come visit me, but I am a gun owner and dont know if he is allowed to come and stay for a few days? I don't want to give up my firearm but don't want to get him in trouble.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Derek Allen Colvin
Derek Allen Colvin
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It is unlawful for a felon to be in possession of a firearm unless they have had their right to possess a firearm restored. Possession can be actual or constructive and is very fact specific. Actual is obvious, but constructive can be tricky. In court, the questions considered for constructive possession are essentially (1) did the person have knowledge of the presence of the firearm and (2) did the person have the ability to possess the firearm. Possession can be proven by direct evidence, circumstantial evidence, or a combination of both. Charges stack up if someone possess both guns and drugs.

No one can say there is no risk to having a felon in a home with firearms; however, homeowners can take steps to safeguard any firearms in a location where a guest can access them and reduce risk. The effectiveness of the safeguards will be fact specific.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.