Asked in Social Security for North Carolina

Q: If I'm on SSI and have a payee over my check and money and she will not let me know what my funds are in my bank account

What do i do.because i have 4 years back pay that i havnt ever even touched and she tells me i have very little left in my account and close to running out next month when I pay my rent and power bill

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: It is perfectly reasonable for you to ask your representative payee how your money is being spent and how much you have in your bank account. Your representative payee is responsible for using your SSI benefits to pay for your needs including payment for food, shelter, clothes, medical care and personal items. Your representative payee should keep records showing how your SSI benefits were spent.

If you suspect that your SSI benefits are being mishandled by your representative payee, contact Social Security right away about the issue. Social Security can investigate your allegations of misuse and ask your representative payee to provide written account of your SSI benefits. Social Security will review the facts and make a decision on whether misuse has occurred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.