Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Carolina Social Security Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: Do I need a lawyer first to represent me in filing for disability?
David Gantt
David Gantt answered on Nov 23, 2021

Yes. Social Security (SS) law is very complicated and hard to understand, even with a law degree. Most people assume that the treating physician's opinion about your ability to work is sufficient. The law actually requires a more detailed and thoughtful analysis of your doctor's... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: How do I get legal representation for a hearing if I am legally declared incompetent
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn answered on Mar 15, 2021

It is not clear what type of hearing you are asking about. Typically the person who is your legal guardian can arrange for representation in a legal matter. If you are asking about getting legal representation for a competency hearing then you will be appointed someone by the Court - just tell them... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Legal Malpractice and Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: Can the mother of my children be my legal guardian and representative payee?

I am legally declared incompetent and my mother is my legal guardian and payee. We are awaiting a hearing. DSS attorney will be present.

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Mar 4, 2021

Legal guardians need to be a responsible adult. If the judge is convinced the person you request is responsible and they have your interests in mind, that change should not be a problem.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security, Tax Law and Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: How would LLC income affect my Social Security benefit?

I am receiving Social Security retirement benefits. I have a rental property that nets about $4000.00 per year. If I put this property into an LLC (North Carolina), will I have to pay FICA? Will it affect the benefit I currently receive?

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Jan 17, 2021

Once you reach full retirement age, there is no limit on how much you can earn and still receive your Social Security retirement benefits without any reduction.

If you began receiving Social Security retirement benefits before your full retirement age, Social Security will deduct $1 in...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: My Mom, from NC, is 74, widowed 2 yrs. ago, and is currently engaged. Will she lose her social security?

They have a prenuptial in the making, but not signed yet.

David Gantt
David Gantt answered on Apr 6, 2020

Your Mom should not lose her Social Security (SS) Retirement due to remarriage. Even if she is drawing Widow's Benefits on her deceased husband's account, her remarriage should not affect her SS retirement since the remarriage is only relevant for marriages before age 60.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: My company had my social security number wrong for a number of years. Do I need a lawyer to fix this?
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Jan 22, 2020

You are not required to hire an attorney to fix the problem but it would be a lot simpler.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Elder Law and Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: My friend's elderly mother is being abused by her husband. What type of attorney does she need? Thank you.

She has some medical issues but it is of very sound mind. He physically roughed her up 3 months ago and she went to a local women's shelter. He is stealing all manner of money from her as she is retired and has a good pension. She left home and is living with my friend, her son. Her husband... Read more »

Melissa Averett
Melissa Averett answered on Dec 22, 2019

She needs a family law/divorce attorney with experience in domestic violence issues, who practices in the county where she lives or where her husband lives.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: I was denied Social Security disability at my hearing date on November 21st I need a good appeals attorney are you able
Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio answered on Dec 11, 2019

You will need to Request an Appeal at the Appeals Council level and hope that it is remanded back to the local office for re-evaluation.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: There are 6 heirs .My parents passed away and I have filed for my as I there doctors say I'm disability but want pay me

Until the estate is settled I thought I can't sell my part if the other5 heirs want let me what. Can I do to get my money I need

Charles Evan Lohr
Charles Evan Lohr answered on Jun 30, 2019


Feel free to contact me at 919-348-9211 or I think I can help you but need more details.

Thank you,

Evan Lohr


1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: would like to know some keywords that the administrative board looks for when approving benefit determinations

i have been denied twice. now i am at the stage of "request for hearing by administrative law judge"

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 8, 2017

basically don't focus on key words --you need to look at the medical records they have. Your medical records need to show that you have a disabling condition and the reasons why that is. This would be usually in the medical records but most often in a letter from a doctor that discusses why... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: my wife is 62, I am 46. I earn 85-95k a year. Should she take social security now or wait till she is 66?

Trying to figure out if social Security admin will still base her amount on my social security, which is the higher of the two even though I am not anywhere near retirement.

Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers answered on Jun 21, 2015

Seek for information from an experienced SSA attorney. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: i recently took a psychological evaluation orderd by my therapist for anxiety, panic attacks, major depression disorder

and agoraphobia. i was told i did well on cognitive part but will that affect my case for my mental problems?

Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus answered on Jun 9, 2014

Yes,many evaluation could affect a case for Social Security Disability. The issue will be whether with these impairments you can still function in a simple non-stressful job.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: is there any set length of time that the IRS can garnish my disability check or will it be garnished til the debts paid
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson answered on May 9, 2014

As far as I am aware, there may be limits on how much of your check the IRS can garnish but there is no limit on the time - the IRS will most likely garnish until the debt is paid. Another concern is that late penalties may still be accruing and depending on how much the IRS is taking and how big... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.