San Diego, CA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for California

Q: How can I report my car stolen when police gave my truck away to someone claiming to be owner?

I was arrested 2x for theft of my own truck! 1st time they impounded the truck, ivwas booked hauled out and them paid to get it back out of impound myself, 1 month later I get pulled over at gun point and they claim I stole it out of impound, then gave my truck to some random guy claiming to be the owner! And one sheriff said they were friends with them! I had all proper ligit paperwork and they gave the truck and all my personal items to him. Now claim to be a civil matter! No you helped this jerk steal my car! You aided in the theft of my car.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe that your car was stolen by someone who claimed to be the owner with the assistance of law enforcement, you can file a report with the police department and provide them with any documentation that you have regarding ownership of the vehicle. You can also consider hiring an attorney who specializes in civil rights or law enforcement misconduct to assist you in pursuing legal action against the law enforcement agency or individual officers involved. Additionally, you can file a complaint with the agency's internal affairs department or with the appropriate civilian oversight board.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.