Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

California Civil Rights Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: I live in CA. While I was at work animal control came to my house and took my dogs out of my backyard.

They left a tag on my door and on the tag it said I hadn’t given my dogs food or water in days. That was a lie. I feed them and gave them water before I went to work.

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 23, 2019

Thanks for venting as there is o question

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and White Collar Crime for California on

Q: The defendant definitely has the ability to pay. His annual income for the past three years has been $7mil, $8mil,$11mil

And what I meant by “proven” was that his employee finally admitted to the forgery (under oath) and he amends his original declaration and apologized to me and over $30k is returned to me over one year later. This has been a nightmare for me. I don’t understand why he or the employee are... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 19, 2019 is a federal offense b/c of the mail box/postal authority.

did you report to police? why not filing/arrest?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for California on

Q: Can police see your warrant if they run the license plates of a vehicle that is not registered under your name?

I got pulled over for expired tags. Police beat me up badly and didnt know my neighbor's cameras caught the whole thing. I didn't know I had a warrant and the police officer never mentioned anything about me having a warrant either. Now that I'm fighting the charges, they're trying to say that they... Read more »

David Dastrup answered on Jun 17, 2019

You are right in that it does not make sense that they would find a warrant for you based on looking up someone else's license plates. There are a lot of different reasons police pull people over. Here, if the tags were actually expired, that is a legitimate reason. However, sometimes a police... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for California on

Q: Can I suit the County for an assault from the guards

I was assaulted by the guards producing bodily injuries. And because I blow the whistle there was abuse of my due process and there was a malicious prosecution under color of law and on 5-9-19 my case was dismissed. Can I sue the County

Louis George Fazzi answered on Jun 15, 2019

You can sue the guards for assault and battery if the charges against you were dismissed. The time within which to do so is short, so you should contact a lawyer with experience in civil rights cases to guide you through the process. You could also sue the county which employed the deputies. A good... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California on

Q: Can you file a lawsuit if you can prove that police put you with the wrong inmates and you were jumped

Louis George Fazzi answered on Jun 15, 2019

There are a whole slew of unanswered questions, and a lot of information missing, which would allow me to offer any kind of advice to you in this situation.

You should immediately contact a lawyer with experience in criminal defense work and civil rights to help you get the answers you seek.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for California on

Q: I’m 19 & I have my MMID I was wondering if I can now legally purchase paraphernalia like bongs in regular tobacco shop

I understand that the law is 21 to purchase tobacco products but I’d like to know if anything related to marijuana is now available to me in common smoke shops.

Louis George Fazzi answered on Jun 14, 2019

I believe the age at which you can legally buy marijuana and its related products is still 21 years old in California. I believe it is the same whether you want to get alcohol or marijuana. I'm unsure if the same rules apply to medical marijuana, however. One way to find out is to go into a medical... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California on

Q: I filed a discrimination complaint with HUD May 24th 2018. HUD contacted me 11 months later.

I responded and told HUD that I had a phone interview with DFEH April 16th, 2019. I filed the same complaint with DFEH November 05th 2018. DFEH closed my case because DFEH stated they lack jurisdiction to proceed forward on my complaint because the last date of harm is out of statute at which DFEH... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi answered on Jun 14, 2019

In California you have one year from the date of the last act of discrimination to file your complaint with the DFEH. By your own admission, that complaint was filed November 5, 2018, which is it within The one-year timeframe for filing your complaint of discrimination. But you need to look at... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Wrongful Death for California on

Q: Hi my name is Jaime West. I’m 43 years old disabled adult, female. My disablities are: Cerbral Palsy, and Diabette

Insipidus . I’m wheelchair bound I use an electric wheelchair to get around. In 1985 my mom passed away from   cervical cancer at the age of 29. In 1996 my dad passed away from  a brain aneurysm. At the of 45.I live on my own in Salinas California since May 2009.  I have San Andreas Regional... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi answered on Jun 13, 2019

Here are some legal resources for you to contact in Salinas.

LaPorte Law Firm

119 Cayuga St · (831) 426-2535

Angelina Valle & Associates

1184 Monroe St #6 · (831) 753-0200

Based on my cursory review, either of these offices would likely be able to assist...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California on

Q: Why wouldn't I be able to sue the government for forcing jury duty on myself and others?

Suing for emotional distress, physical ailments caused by distress, duress and asking for my medical records after denying my appeal.

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 5, 2019

Because the courts already ruled that you can't

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Elder Law and Probate for California on

Q: An attorney and appointed trustees who had accepted the trusteeship had my disabled mother

I need a financial elder abuse litigator for elder abuse against my mother and against me. Case involves a large estate over $20 million.

Richard Samuel Price answered on Jun 1, 2019

The best thing for you to do is to all come local attorneys and get some advice about your case. You can contact your local bar association for a referral to an elder abuse attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for California on

Q: I’ve been falsely accused by them before. Now they are filing harassment and restriction order at court. I need advice

We Are both girls. She falsely accused me of sexual harassment at work. I was cleared from HR. She has now taken me to court for harassment and a want for a restriction order. I haven’t spoken to her since our last convo on March through text. I asked her a question and told her “Sorry my PTSD... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi answered on May 31, 2019

Get the response papers from the website: copy and paste this into your browser

and from the pull down menu click on Civil Harassment Protection and then scroll down to form CH-120-INFO which will explain how to fill our the response form (CH-120) and how...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: what can i do to cease and desist harassment from a sibling?

I have a sibling whos been harassing me 10+ yrs she is making false police reports death threats aginst me to my kids, malice slandering (defamation of character). threats to my kids saying shes gonna have me in jail for life kill me etc Cant hold a job im so stressed I need a attorney but im a... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on May 28, 2019



1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for California on

Q: Wat cani do if I was a victim of a robbery and local police won't investigate

Dale S. Gribow answered on May 28, 2019

more info needed.

as a rule if the DA can prove a case they will file and prosecute.

There must be some issue with proof.

If not contact police chief; city council/mayor, Congressman, Supervisor etc

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for California on

Q: My son is incarcerated for a crime that has been proven he did not commit. My contact number 661-584-9012

Alexander Bakhache Perez answered on May 26, 2019

Not sure if you son still has court pending with an open case and court dates or if he needs an appeal.

Feel free to contact after the holiday weekend on Tuesday during business hours. Please obtain file/ copy from prior attorney if you are interested in an appeal if possible.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for California on

Q: False sexual harrasment accusation & Human Resources trying to fire me ? For a irrelevant case ?

A girl went to Human Resources and told them that I left my students alone. (It was for less than a minute ) I was multitasking and my door was open. I was less than 10 feet away. Of course, HR may want to potentionally fire me for this. But my manager already gave me a warning for it. So why am I... Read more »

Neil Pedersen answered on May 23, 2019

I am sorry this is happening to you. Far more would need to be known about your situation before you could get reliable advice upon which you can govern your actions. Generally, in California you are considered to be an at will employee and your employer is allowed to discipline or terminate you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Domestic Violence, Education Law and Sexual Harassment for California on

Q: how to get justice

Someone grabbed a students ( 8 yrs) sweater put it against their chest, with a disgusted look and rudely said excuse me with no consent

Dale S. Gribow answered on May 23, 2019

more info needed.

it does not sound illegal.

what is the basis of your objection?

if you felt something was wrong then report it to the teacher, counselor or principle

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Federal Crimes for California on

Q: My husband is a permanent resident, can immigration deny him reentry because he has a legal cannabis job?

when he flies out to his country in Israel and reenters the usa, will immigration deny him entry due to his profesion? Can they see on record that hes registered with the sheriffs dept. As a legal worker?

Hector E. Quiroga answered on May 22, 2019

No. This could impact him if he files for US citizenship, for which he has to show five years of good moral character. A recent policy change requires a determination of lack of good moral character for people working in even the legal cannabis business.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Antitrust for California on

Q: Is a clone a human and would homicide be illegal

What if I could prove there were clones surrounding me 200,000 through a diabetes test

Rhonda Mae Hixon answered on May 16, 2019

A clone of a human would be a human since they share the same DNA, so homicide of a clone would be illegal and a violation of Penal Code section 187, just as it would for a human.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Civil Rights for California on

Q: Was told I had 3 days to sign severance agreement but it says 21 days on the agreement. I'm 40+. Signed under duress

This happened on a Thursday. I signed the agreement that Friday because they told me 3 days and 3 days would have been a Sunday. This was not enough time to seek legal cousel. After reading the agreement several times and doing research I found I had 21 days per the agreement because of age... Read more »

Neil Pedersen answered on May 14, 2019

It would be wise for you to immediately get in to see an experienced employment law attorney to discuss your situation. Before you undo the severance agreement, you need to know if you have real, valuable and enforceable legal claims against the former employer.

Then you need to determine...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.