Columbia, MD asked in Juvenile Law for Maryland

Q: Can you dispute a juvenile peace order

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: A final peace order may only be issued after a hearing or by consent of the person against whom it is sought, after service of the interim or temporary peace order and notice of a hearing. The hearing is like a trial, and each side can testify or call witnesses, present evidence, etc. The respondent in such an action can contest the grounds for the peace order and argue against its issuance at the hearing, as well as make an argument against the length of time it should be in effect if granted, and any restrictions imposed by it. If the judge grants any relief requested under a petition for peace order, the respondent may file an appeal to challenge the judge's findings. There is a time limit on filing the notice of appeal. Each party to a peace order is entitled to be represented by counsel. In the case of a peace order issued against a juvenile, it is typically an Intake Officer of the Department of Juvenile Services or an Assistant State's Attorney who files the petition after review of a request from a complaining party.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.