El Paso, TX asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Texas

Q: The father and I have 50/50 custody, but I want full custody. Am I able to go back to my case and request that change?

My family and I are planning to move next year to the east side of our town. The father lives in New Mexico, making it a very long drive that our daughter would have to suffer through once a week for visitation; she's only three years old. He can't afford to put her in daycare and struggles to maintain her school schedule. I think it is in everyone's best interest that she is with me full-time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This is a typical “bread & butter” custody case. You can file a motion to modify your custody arrangement with the court. Whether the court will grant your request will depend on all of the facts and circumstances shown by the evidence presented in your case.

You should consult a family lawyer who practices in the county where you live. That lawyer should be familiar with the predilections of the judge who will hear your case.

These are common cases which should be able to be resolved in less than two years with legal expenses under $50,000 as long as there are not unusual complications encountered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.