Brigham City, UT asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Utah

Q: Ex filed for reduced child support. He was making 88k a year, was fired twice, now makes 44k. Is his potential 88k/yr?

My ex husband just filed for a modification to his child support payment. He will pay nothing after this modification. He has been fired from multiple jobs in the last year. He originally made 88k when we divorced. Can I argue that his potential income is 88k, but that he is trying to earn less to get out of child support?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You can and you should argue that he is "willfully underemployed." He will need to explain the reasons for being separated from those jobs. If the Court determines he has the capacity to earn the 88k, they should leave the child support intact.

If you have not retained competent family law counsel, you really should do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.