Niagara Falls, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for New York

Q: How do I sue him for 500? I wanted my things I have to come up with 500 just to access to get my things that's not fair

I tryed to resolve this issue within the 30dats he was the one who prolonged this not me my husband and in made numerious attempts he ignored us

1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you pay the money but don't feel it was just, you may commence a case in Small Claims Court to recover the money you believe was collected wrongly. However, if you owe money for rent arrears, the landlord may counterclaim against you.

Daniel Michael Luisi and Steven Warren Smollens agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.