Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Alabama

Q: Ex provides health insurance via military benefit. Refuses to pay half of uncovered expenses.

12yo is covered by health insurance by ex. This year we have incurred $400+ uncovered medical bills and she is starting orthodontic treatment soon ~$6800. Ex states the portion his benefits cover (for example, $1700 of braces) count as his payment towards these bills. Insurance does not exceed 5% of his income. How do I proceed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Your order should cover what is to occur with uncovered medical expenses and deductibles. If it does and he is in violation then you can take him to court to hold him in contempt and enforce the provisions. If for some reason there is no such provisions you need to go back to court to have them added. It is fairly standard for uncovered medicals to be split on a 50/50 basis.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.