Oklahoma City, OK asked in Immigration Law for Oklahoma

Q: Q: Hi, I made mistake with my date of birth.

My country Has different date they Have Hijri shamsi Muslims date but United States of America has Different. when i changed my date of birth into American date i made mistake in years. I don’t have my country ID but i do have the picture of my ID is it Possible to correct my date of birth.

Thank you

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Min Hwan Ahn
Min Hwan Ahn
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: it is possible to correct a mistake in your date of birth. However, the process may vary depending on the circumstances and the agency involved. In your case, since you made a mistake in converting your date of birth from the Hijri Shamsi (Islamic) calendar to the Gregorian calendar used in the United States, you may need to take the following steps:

Contact the government agency: The first step is to reach out to the government agency that recorded your incorrect date of birth, such as the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Social Security Administration (SSA), or the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Explain the situation and provide evidence of your correct date of birth, such as a picture of your ID.

Contact the ID issuing agency: If the agency cannot correct it, contact the agency that issued your ID to request a correction. Provide the agency with a copy of your incorrect U.S. government record and evidence of your correct date of birth.

Seek legal assistance: If you cannot correct your date of birth through government agencies, you may need to seek the assistance of an immigration attorney. The attorney can guide you through the process and represent you in any legal proceedings that may be required.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, it is possible to correct your date of birth if you made a mistake on your U.S. immigration documents. You will need to submit a request to correct your records with the relevant U.S. government agency.

To do this, you will need to provide documentation to support the correction, including your original identification documents such as your passport, birth certificate, or other official records. If you do not have your country ID, you can provide a copy of the picture of your ID that you have as evidence.

You should contact an immigration attorney or the relevant U.S. government agency, such as U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), for guidance on how to proceed with correcting your date of birth. They will be able to assist you with the specific requirements and procedures for correcting your records.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.