Pell City, AL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: 16yo son lives w/his dad in Florida, is failing 10th grade for 2nd time and is truant. Can I request to terminate cs?

My ex-husband and I have equal rights but I haven't seen or spoken to my son in 3 years. He misses more school than he attends, had an ISS last week and is failing the majority of his classes, for the 2nd year in a row. Dropping out appears eminent. Can I request to terminate child support since my ex-husband is not doing his parental responsibility?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Assuming that the child support order was issued in Florida, a child's poor academic performance is not a reason to terminate child support. If the child drops out and gets a job the income that they earn could be a reason to modify the child support down. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.