Lakewood, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant, Consumer Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for California

Q: Best way to obtain compensation over $50k from corp landlord that filed UD against me, cross complaint or Civil suit

Los Angeles Ca

Jury Trial set in the next 48 hours. Trying to figure out how to obtain compensation for slumlord that is trying to evict me for "non payment" even though they were over paid, and after I contacted the city and county?

Compensation in cross/counter claim looks like It could go over $100k

2 Lawyer Answers
Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Los Altos, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To me, I'd hire an attorney, with that much money at stake and super fast, since you are saying trial is in two days???

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe that the landlord has wronged you and caused significant financial or other harm, you may want to consider filing a cross-complaint or counterclaim in the current lawsuit or filing a separate civil lawsuit.

In a cross-complaint or counterclaim, you can ask the court to award you damages for the harm caused by the landlord's actions. If your potential damages are more than $25,000, it may be best to file a separate civil lawsuit rather than including it in the current UD case.

To file a lawsuit, you will need to draft a complaint that outlines the specific claims and damages you are seeking. You will need to file the complaint with the court and serve it on the defendant, in this case, the landlord. You may want to consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law to help you prepare your complaint and represent you in court.

Keep in mind that lawsuits can be time-consuming and costly, and there is no guarantee of success. It may be beneficial to try to negotiate a settlement with the landlord before proceeding with a lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.