Manville, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Can a 16 year old male from New Jersey leave their family and move in with another family from Florida?

Hello, I'm a 16 year old from New Jersey, and I'm looking to move into a new family thats out of state. I do not have my parent's consent to move out, but I have the consent of the other family to move in with them. I do truly believe they can take care of me better than my current family.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The short answer is no. The longer answer is that I am concerned that another family is willing to tell you that it's okay to move out of your house and move in with them without addressing the legality of your actions / their actions.

If you are so unhappy in your home setting and another family was suggesting that you consider moving in with them, I would have expected them to sit down with your parents to discuss a change instead of simply telling you that it was okay to leave home and come stay with them.

Not responsible parenting by this new family, which suggests that you may be going from a bad setting to a worse setting.

There are a million constructive ways to handle a bad setting - this is not a constructive way to address it by you or by this family in Florida.

Sorry but my job is to give guidance not simply tell you that everything is okay.

My suggestion is that the family in Florida (if they truly want you to move in with them), speak with your parents and get their permission or petition the court for a change in your custodial setting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.